This is an introductory course for anyone interested in motor boating or sailing. The course covers basic seamanship and an introduction to navigation and meteorology. It aims to give would-be skippers enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is included.
RYA Day Skipper Shorebased
- The basics of seamanship
- The essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- Electronic charts
- Position fixing
- Plotting a course to steer
- Weather forecasting and meteorology
- Collision regulations
- Construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- Emergency safety procedures (distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and life-rafts)
£470 (subject to change for the new academic year)
The College takes all reasonable steps to provide the educational services and courses as described above. Details are correct at the time of editing but may be subject to change without prior notice. Courses will not run if student numbers are insufficient. The College has the right to refuse individuals entry to courses in certain circumstances. Prospective students may be advised of more suitable alternatives, if appropriate. The entry requirements stated are those that are normally required to undertake the programme of study.