News & Events
College student recipe wins £25
- Posted by: pembscollegesuperadmin
Pembrokeshire College Level 2 Catering student, Monika Smarul has been featured in Take a Break’s My Favourite Recipe magazine.
An avid reader of the magazine, Monika submitted her own recipe for a plump meringue with grapes and won £25 for her creation. Monika was pleased to see her recipe in print, “I read the magazine for recipes with a twist and I sent in my special meringue recipe which is made with cornflower and vinegar to make it extra soft and squidgy!”
This is the second time that Monika has featured in her favourite food mag, her recipe for a Halloween themed feast was picked up by the editors last year although she is aiming for the front page, “Recipes featured on the cover win £500 so I’ll get my thinking cap on to come up with something even better next time!”
Catering Lecturer, Rose Butler was pleased to see Monika’s handy work in print, “We always enjoy seeing our students get creative with a recipe and really make it their own, well done!”
Here’s Monika’s recipe for a refreshing and easy bake:
- 3 egg whites
- 175g sugar
- 1 tsp white malt vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 large handful mixed grapes
- 300ml double cream
- 1-2 mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 140C / gas mark 1.
- With an electric whisk, beat the egg whites on full speed, until fluffy, then add sugar a spoonful at a time.
- Mix the vinegar and cornflour together in a separate bowl and add to the egg and sugar mix. Beat the mixture on full speed again.
- Place the meringue mix onto a lined baking tray. Turn the oven down to 130C and bake the meringue for an hour. Turn off the oven but leave the meringue inside to dry for about two hours until hard.
- Finely chop the grapes. Beat the double cream in a bowl on full speed. Spread the cream onto the meringue. Top with grapes and a garnish of mint leaves.
Feeling inspired? To find out more about Catering courses at Pembrokeshire College, head over to the Open Evening on 26th April from 5pm – 7pm.
Photo: Pembrokeshire College Level 2 Catering student, Monika Smarul with her featured recipe in Take a Break.