Looking to learn how to sew or improve your skills and knowledge? This course will introduce you to the basics of dressmaking.
Is this course right for me?
We will introduce you to a huge amount of skills that you’ll need to know as you move further into the world of garment sewing. Working your way through this course you’ll build a solid foundation in sewing skills that’ll allow you to move forward with confidence and apply everything that you’ve learned to almost any pattern you want to try.
You will need to bring a basic sewing kit with you however if you don’t have any to begin with, please come along to the first lesson and the tutor will help you from there. Feel free to bring any projects that you have been working on at home too.
This eight week course normally runs on a Thursday, 18:00 – 20:00, at Pembrokeshire College Main Campus.
- No formal entry requirements
You will learn:
- how to use a sewing machine and iron to achieve a crisp and precise finish
- how to take measurements correctly
- how to choose and read patterns
- how to select fabric
- how to cut a garment out
- how to achieve a balanced fitting on the body
- finishing the garment to the highest possible standards
You can take the class at you own pace and the tutor will support you with learning new techniques such as fitting the pattern, adding facings and interfacing, darts and zips.
Learners are able to complete either the full qualification or certain units or elements through the medium of Welsh/bilingually.
- Continuous assessment during the course
Following completion of this course you might want to try another one of our community courses.
- Art materials - you will be told about any specific items during or before you start the course
- During the course there will be additional costs for consumables