News & Events
Heads turn at College’s Hair and Beauty competition
- Posted by: pembscollegesuperadmin
Pembrokeshire College’s Hair, Beauty and Complementary Therapy students showcased their skills at their in-house competition, testing their abilities on real-life briefs and timescales.
Experts from the Hair and Beauty industry judged the all-day competition across seven different categories which utilised their technical abilities, time keeping skills and creativity. Competition judges included Sharon Whitehouse from Utopia Narberth, Scott Thomas from Milkshake, Kim Knight from New Beauty, Haverfordwest, Cath Archer, Maria Nicholas along with Mark Hancock from Gilmor Hair, Newport who also generously donated the prizes for the winners.
From 9am, over 50 students from Level 1, 2 and 3 Hairdressing and Level 2 and 3 Beauty Therapy began preparing their clients to compete for the best Women’s Blow Dry, Milkshake Hair Colour, Beauty Make-up – ‘Contour like a Kardashian’, Bridal Hair and Make-up, Massage and Facial, Mythical Creatures Styling and 1950s Hair and Make-up Styling.
Throughout the day the judges observed each category, scoring the work of each student against rigid criteria. College Lecturer, Sharon Philpin commented, “Our students have really stretched themselves to meet the demands of the brief. We’re all so proud of the skills they have, it was a great opportunity for them to show them off! Thank you to the volunteer models and judges for spending the day with us and for their valued feedback.”
Well done to everyone who took part, especially those who secured first, second and third places who were awarded with a trophy and a selection of hair and make-up products donated by Gilmor Hair, Eve Taylor, Ellison products, Beauty Express, College Kits Direct and NSI Nails:
- Women’s Blow Dry – 1st Lauren Davies, 2nd Connor Jones, 3rd Daisy Griffiths
- Milkshake Hair Colour – 1st Alice MacGovern, 2nd Sequoia Smith, 3rd Phoebe Thomas
- Beauty Make-up, ‘Contour like a Kardashian’ – 1st Shannon Gwyther, 2nd Isobelle Evans, 3rd Abigail Wilson
- Bridal Hair and Make-up – 1st Caitlyn Hughes and Sophie Aldred, 2nd Connor Jones and Gemma Whalley, 3rd Liane Hopwood
- Massage and Facial – 1st Kelsey Rees, 2nd Amber Thomas, 3rd Sophie Reynolds
- Mythical Creatures Styling – 1st Alisha Wardhall, 2nd Nadia Monkhouse, 3rd Bryony Carr
- 1950’s Hair and Make-up Styling – 1st Rhiannon Armstrong, 2nd Sophie Aldred, 3rd Shannon Van-decapplle
- Freestyle category for Cynnydd students – 1st, Ashleigh Wheelerhouse, 2nd Lois Hawks, 3rd Katie Bowen
Pembrokeshire College’s commercial salons are open to the public and offer a wide range of high quality hair, beauty and complementary therapy services at excellent prices. Special arrangements can be made for group bookings, hen parties and for ‘pamper’ events held throughout the year. Visit salon.pembrokeshire.ac.uk or call 01473 753164 for details.