News & Events
Staff go MaDD
- Posted by: pembscollegesuperadmin
College Staff go MaDD for the Community
The College’s annual Make a Difference Day (MaDD) took place earlier this month and saw over 100 staff provide support to 13 community projects right across the county. Projects ranged from painting work at the Avenue Social Centre in Tenby, to Balsam bashing for Pembroke 21C and painting and maintaining boats for Fishguard Sea Cadets.
A further nine projects are due to be completed throughout August including cutting down a hedge at Shalom House in Saint Davids and some general gardening for Cleddau River Day Unit.
Now a regular date in the College calendar, Make a Difference Day aims to help community groups and charities across Pembrokeshire to complete jobs that they may not otherwise have the manpower to complete themselves and show just how much the College values its community and environment.
Kathryn Robson, founder of Pembrokeshire College’s Make a Difference Day and Director of HR and Learner Services at the College commented: “Once again many of our staff turned out to give their time and skills for our local community as part of MaDD. There are so many benefits to this annual event and I am delighted that the College is able to give all staff a day each year to make a difference. This will continue to be a firm date in the College calendar.”
Want to get involved in 2015?
If you know of a community group or a charity that would like to be part of next year’s Make a Difference Day, please contact the College on 01437 753 201. There is no restriction on the type of project that can be submitted for consideration as long as it is from a not-for-profit group based within Pembrokeshire and it will make a difference to people in the local community.
Below is a list of the projects that have been, or will be, completed as part of Pembrokehsire College’s Make a Difference Day 2014:
- Painting the interior and exterior of Llawhaden YFC and Community Hall
- Beach cleaning at both Druidstone and Newgale for Keep Wales Tidy
- Balsam bashing at Foundry House Community Centre for Pembroke 21C
- Painting work for Monkton Old Priory Community Project
- Staking and tying 30 large trees for Freemans View Residents Association
- General clearing and tidying on Caldey Island for Caldey Monks
- Pen and ink drawings of houses for the Harriet Davis Trust
- Painting work for the Avenue Social Centre in Tenby
- Cutting down a hedge at Shalom House, St Davids
- General garden maintenance for Cleddau River Day Unit
- Tidying the courtyard garden at St Non Ward, Bro Cerwyn Centre
- Attaching a water butt and digging a pond for Clarbeston Road Playgroup
- Scattering hay for the National Trust across land near Newgale
- Preparing and decorating therapy rooms at Adam’s Bucketful of Hope charity support venue
- Painting and maintaining boats for Fishguard Sea Cadets
- Providing Fishguard Primary School with assistance for a fashion/textile project
- Spiking the bowling green for Neyland Bowls Association
- Designing a leaflet for Haven Credit Union
- Selling refreshments and cakes for the Cleddau Reach project
- Collecting tinned foods for PATCH
- Making tea/coffee for the local knitting group
- Painting and general maintenance of the lifeboat station for Little Haven and Broad Haven RNLI
- Volunteering at the RDA – Bowling annual charity horse show
- Helping at the Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society Fun Day for people with special needs