Is this course right for me?
This one and a half day assessment course is if you are applying to extend range of work within the same sector by adding Gas Fires and Wall Heater Safety (HTR1).
Types of appliances covered by HTR1 include:
- Gas fires
- Wall heaters
- Convector heaters
- Stoves, which may be open, balanced or fan assisted
- Flueless gas fires (with and without catalytic converters)
- Greenhouse heaters
You must hold Domestic Core Gas Safety (CCN1) and Central Heating Boilers and Water Heaters (CENWAT).
This assessment is designed to assess the competence of a gas engineer to install, exchange, commission, disconnect, service, carry out repairs and attend to breakdown of appliances and includes:
- Identifying Appliance type
- Apply the guidance given in the manufactures instructions and Appropriate British Standard
- Ensure that the appliance is safe to use
Topics covered include:
- Gas Safety Legislation
- Installation of pipework and fittings
- Test for tightness
- Checking and/or setting meter regulations
- Identification of unsafe situations
- The Operation and positioning of emergency controls
- Emergency notices and warning labels
- The operation and checking of gas safety devices and controls
- Flue testing
- Installation of open, balanced and fan assisted flue assemblies
- Gas Emergency Actions and Procedures
- Characteristics of combustion
- Re-establish existing gas supply and re-light appliances.
Learners are able to complete either the full qualification or certain units or elements through the medium of Welsh/bilingually. Visit our Welsh Language in the College page to find out what else is available to you.
- Continuous assessment during the course
- Practical assessment during the course
- Practical examination
- Written examination
On completion of this assessment you will be able to apply to Gas Safe for registration subject to your current certification.
- One passport sized photograph (if not already submitted)
- Photographic ID (Passport or Driving Licence)
- Copies of prior learning and/or qualifications