Mathematics - GCSE
Mathematics - GCSE
WJEC GCSE in Mathematics (Intermediate or Higher Tier)
This course is designed for those requiring GCSE Maths for University entrance for certain courses or wishing to study it for pleasure.
Under 19’s are eligible for a reduced fee of 20% of the full cost.
Is this course right for me?
Extending aspects of Mathematics required for progression to scientific, technical or further mathematical study for example teaching and Higher Education. This course will have an emphasis on problems set both in real-world contexts and within Mathematics itself and will encourage learners to employ and evaluate different mathematical techniques.
This 30 week (one academic year) course normally runs on a Tuesday, 18:00 – 20:30, starting in September.
- No formal entry requirements
- Each application is considered on individual merit
This specification will encourage learners to be inspired, moved and challenged by following a broad, coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study. It will help learners to develop confidence in, and a positive attitude towards, mathematics and to recognise the importance and relevance of mathematics to their everyday lives and to society.
You will learn all the elements required for Intermediate and build on these if taking Higher Tier.
Units to be studied include:
- Understanding number and place value
- Understanding number relationships and methods of calculation
- Solving numerical problems
- Understanding and using functional relationships
- Understanding and using equations and formulae
- Geometry and Measure:
- Understanding and using properties of shape
- Understanding and using properties of position, movement and transformation
- Understanding and using measures
- Specifying the problem and planning
- Processing, representing and interpreting data
- Discussing results
- Estimating and calculating the probabilities of events
Learners are able to complete either the full qualification or certain units or elements through the medium of Welsh/bilingually.
- Written examination
Access to A-level Maths, to help meet the requirements for certain degree level courses.
- Stationery - you will be told about any specific items before you start the course
Any costs above are approximate and may change.