Plumbing – Core
Plumbing – Core
EAL Level 2 in Building Services Engineering
If you are interested in a “hands on” career in the Plumbing, Heating and Ventilation Construction Industry then this is the programme for you. Learners will explore the cold, hot and heating systems within a domestic property and the basic pipework competences that underpin work on these systems.
Under 19 years may be eligible for a significant discount, and only pay 20% of the course fee.
Fees are per academic year, subject to change
Out of stock
Is this course right for me?
For learners of all ages, this two-year part-time course is designed for those seeking to acquire a trade. The flexible day release schedule makes it suitable for learners newly employed in construction or those in search of a career change.
Every construction learner in Wales wishing to embark on further courses in a construction trade will complete this qualification. The six core units are also part of every construction apprenticeship, so if you progress to an apprenticeship after this you will already have completed a substantial part of the required learning.
This course normally runs one day per week, for 2 years, starting in September.
- No formal entry requirements
- Each application is considered on individual merit
- Entry is subject to attending a course information session or informal interview
Acquire knowledge through a variety of tasks conducted in our ‘live’ workshop setting. These tasks will be reinforced with hands-on demonstrations designed to develop your awareness of the need for safe working practices, mastering basic tool skills, and achieving precise measurements. These essential skills collectively contribute to the development of your competency as a skilled craftsperson.
Subject specific units to be studied:
- Plumbing, heating and ventilation – Learners will have the opportunity to plan and create their own pipework installation using a variety of materials, jointing methods and bending techniques.
This qualification enables learners to begin to develop their:
- Understanding of the buildings and structures that constitute the built environment and how they change, and have changed, over time
- Understanding of the trades, roles and careers in the construction and built environment sector
- Understanding of the life cycle of buildings and structures in the built environment and the associated principles and processes at each stage
- Understanding of social, economic and environmental sustainability as appropriate to construction and the built environment
- Knowledge of emerging technologies in the construction and built environment sector
- Employability skills and their understanding of how these are relevant to, and important in, the workplace in the construction and built environment sector
- Knowledge of and ability to apply the principles of working in ways which protect health, safety, well-being and the environment
- Knowledge, skills and understanding required in planning, performing and evaluating common practical tasks in chosen trade within the construction and built environment sector
Core units also to be studied include:
- Introduction to the Built Environment
- Introduction to the Trades in the Construction and Built Environment Sector
- Introduction to the Built Environment Life Cycle
- Employability in the Construction and Built Environment Sector
- Protecting Health, Safety and the Environment when working in Construction and the Built Environment Sector
- Introduction to Emerging Technologies in Construction and the Built Environment Sector
Learners are able to complete either the full qualification or certain units or elements through the medium of Welsh/bilingually. Visit our Welsh Language in the College page to find out what else is available to you.
- Continuous assessment during the course
- Practical assessment during the course
- Portfolio of evidence
- Online examination
- If taken as an apprenticeship then reviews with your assessor and employer will take place every 1-2 months and you will be expected to have developed your skills and knowledge between each review
Following successful completion of this course learners could look to progress to a higher level course at the College, seek an appropriate Apprenticeship or go directly into employment.
- Stationery - you will be told about any specific items before you start the course
- Plumbing flame retardant coveralls - £35
- Plumbing safety boots/shoes - £14/£39
- You may be eligible for funding. Find out more on our student finance page
Any costs above are approximate and may change.