City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing (6008-02)
This qualification prepares you for industry and is suitable for those hoping to work as a stylist with only the commitment of attending College for one day per week. The course is a combination of practical and theoretical assessments, based in the College salon facilities.
Under 19’s are eligible for a reduced fee of 20% of the full cost.
Please note, course fees are subject to change for the next academic year.
Out of stock
Is this course right for me?
This is an intensive part-time course compared to the full-time alternative route therefore good attendance, motivation and commitment are required. The course maintains the fun and experimental salon aspects of our other provision and if desired, students also have the opportunity to participate in educational trips, competitions and promotional events to enhance their learning.
This 34 week (one academic year) course normally runs on a Monday, 09:00 – 19:00, starting in September.
- If under 19, Level 1/2 Hairdressing qualification or Two GCSEs at grade D or above (may include one relevant equivalent) to include English Language/First Language Welsh and Science
- Good personal presentation and communication skills are required
- Each application is considered on individual merit
Units to be studied include:
- Style and finish hair
- Set and dress hair
- Cut hair using basic techniques
- Colour and lighten hair
- Advise and consult with clients
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Develop and maintain effectiveness at work
- Cut men’s hair using basic techniques
- Perm and neutralise hair
Learners are able to complete either the full qualification or certain units or elements through the medium of Welsh/bilingually. Visit our Welsh Language in the College page to find out what else is available to you.
- Continuous assessment during the course
- Portfolio of evidence
- Online examination
- If taken as an apprenticeship then reviews with your assessor and employer will take place every 1-2 months and you will be expected to have developed your skills and knowledge between each review
Following successful completion of this course learners could look to progress to a higher level course at the College, seek an appropriate Apprenticeship or go directly into employment.
- Text books - you will be told about any specific items before you start the course, most text books are available to loan from the college library or online libraries
- Hairdressing kit - this includes the basics you will need during the course and into the future - £365
- Hairdressing uniform - £34/£49
- Barbering kit - £183
- You may be eligible for funding. Find out more on our student finance page
Any costs above are approximate and may change.