Automotive Maintenance and Repair
City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Light/Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles
This course is ideal for learners wanting to develop practical skills in, and broaden their understanding of automotive systems. It also gives the opportunity to learn how to develop others.
If not taken as an apprenticeship – cost:
Is this course right for me?
This two year course is progression for Level 2 learners and will suit you if you have a great deal of technical skills and knowledge and looking to gain more responsibility by supervising others, running your own business or moving to a diagnostic technician level.
You can chose either the Light Vehicle or Heavy Vehicle route depending on your current employment.
You are required to attend College for one day per week, therefore commitment, good attendance and strong organisational skills are required.
It may be possible for you to study an NVQ only if you wish.
Transport: Please note that for apprenticeship courses the college day would normally end anytime between 5pm – 7pm, depending on the apprenticeship pathway you are following. As college buses leave at 4pm, you will need to ensure you have your own transport in place.
- You will be expected to have successfully completed the previous level in this subject area or similar
- You will be expected to be in relevant job role
- Each application is considered on individual merit
- Entry is subject to attending a course information session or informal interview
This course is both theory and practical based. Depending on which route you choose (light vehicle or heavy vehicle), learners will cover areas such as vehicle maintenance, removal and replacement of vehicle units and components and diagnosis and rectification of vehicle faults over two years.
Mandatory units to be covered include:
- Health, Safety and Good Housekeeping in the Automotive Environment
- Supporting Job Roles in the Automotive Work Environment
- Materials, Fabrication, Tools and Measuring Devices in the Automotive Environment
- Skills and Knowledge in Diagnosing and Rectifying:
- Engine Faults
- Chassis System Faults
- Transmission and Driveline faults
- Auxiliary Electrical Faults
This qualification is part of all automotive apprenticeship frameworks in England and Wales and will enable learners to develop an understanding of the automotive industry and the role of their organisation within the industry.
This is a competence based qualification. This means that they are linked to a person’s ability to competently perform a range of tasks connected with their work.
If you do not currently hold GCSE grade C in Maths and English, you may be required to undertake the following:
- Essential Skills Wales (ESW) – Communication Skills
- Essential Skills Wales (ESW) – Application of Number Skills
Learners are able to complete either the full qualification or certain units or elements through the medium of Welsh/bilingually. Visit our Welsh Language in the College page to find out what else is available to you.
- Practical assessment during the course
- Portfolio of evidence
- Workplace evidence
- If taken as an apprenticeship then reviews with your assessor and employer will take place every 1-2 months and you will be expected to have developed your skills and knowledge between each review
At level 3, you have a great deal of technical skills and knowledge and looking to gain more responsibility by supervising others, running your own business or moving to a diagnostic technician level. Careers completion of this course could lead to include: FastFit Supervisor, Light Vehicle Diagnostic Technician, Heavy Vehicle Diagnostic Technician, or running your own business.
Following successful completion of this course learners could look to progress to a higher level course at the College, seek an appropriate Apprenticeship or go directly into employment.
- Stationery - you will be told about any specific items before you start the course
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Clothing, which you can purchase online before you start the course
- You may be eligible for funding. Find out more on our student finance page
Any costs above are approximate and may change. For information on refunds and course cancellations please see the fee policy.