Automotive Maintenance and Repair
City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Light/Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles
This course cover all aspects of automotive maintenance and repair, to include vehicle servicing, fault identification and rectification for light or heavy vehicles.
If not taken as an apprenticeship – cost:
Is this course right for me?
This two year course will provide the knowledge and skills required for people employed in the automotive industry. The course covers all aspects of Motor Vehicle maintenance and repair to include vehicle servicing, fault identification and rectification.
You can chose either the Light Vehicle or Heavy Vehicle route depending on your current employment.
You are required to attend College for one day per week, therefore commitment, good attendance and strong organisational skills are required.
It may be possible for you to study an NVQ only if you wish.
Transport: Please note that for apprenticeship courses the college day would normally end anytime between 5pm – 7pm, depending on the apprenticeship pathway you are following. As college buses leave at 4pm, you will need to ensure you have your own transport in place.
- Two GCSEs at grade D or above (may include one relevant equivalent) to include English Language/First Language Welsh and Mathematics/Numeracy
- Essential Skills Wales (ESW) in Application of Number and Communication may be an acceptable equivalent to GCSEs
- You will be expected to have successfully completed the previous level in this subject area or similar
- You will be expected to be in relevant job role
- Entry is subject to attending a course information session or informal interview
This course is both theory and practical based.
Depending on which route you choose (light vehicle or heavy vehicle), learners will cover areas such as vehicle maintenance, removal and replacement of vehicle units and components and diagnosis and rectification of vehicle faults over two years.
Units to be covered include:
- Health, Safety and Good Housekeeping in the Automotive Environment
- Supporting Job Roles in the Automotive Work Environment
- Materials, Fabrication, Tools and Measuring Devices in the Automotive Environment
- Routine Vehicle Maintenance
- Engine Units and Components
- Electrical Units and Components
- Chassis Units and Components
- Engine Mechanical, Lubrication and Cooling System Units and Components
- Transmission and Driveline Units and Components
- Fuel, Ignition, Air and Exhaust System Units and Components
If you do not currently hold GCSE grade C in Maths and English, you may be required to undertake the following:
- Essential Skills Wales (ESW) – Communication Skills
- Essential Skills Wales (ESW) – Application of Number Skills
Learners are able to complete either the full qualification or certain units or elements through the medium of Welsh/bilingually. Visit our Welsh Language in the College page to find out what else is available to you.
- Practical assessment during the course
- Portfolio of evidence
- Workplace evidence
- Online examination
- If taken as an apprenticeship then reviews with your assessor and employer will take place every 1-2 months and you will be expected to have developed your skills and knowledge between each review
At Level 2 you will have developed a good foundation of skills and knowledge required to become a vehicle service technician and are ready to move to the next level. You could become a Light Vehicle/Heavy Vehicle Service Technician or a FastFit/Tyre Technician.
Following successful completion of this course learners could look to progress to a higher level course at the College, seek an appropriate Apprenticeship or go directly into employment.
- Stationery - you will be told about any specific items before you start the course
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Clothing, which you can purchase online before you start the course
- You may be eligible for funding. Find out more on our student finance page
Any costs above are approximate and may change. For information on refunds and course cancellations please see the fee policy.