Customer Service & Advice and Guidance
Customer Service & Advice and Guidance
There is a wide and diverse range of organisations in Wales that employ individuals to provide customer service and advice and guidance related services including but not limited to retailers, local authorities, careers advice services, voluntary sector organisations, student services, prisons and probation services, and government departments.
The following apprenticeships are available:
- Level 2 Customer Service
- Level 3 Customer Service
- Level 3 Advice & Guidance
- Level 4 Advice & Guidance
If not taken as an apprenticeship – cost:
Is this course right for me?
People of any age can undertake an apprenticeship and access is subject to interview.
Apprenticeships in Advice & Guidance and Customer Service comprise of:
- An NVQ qualification combining knowledge and competence (assessed in the workplace)
- Literacy, Numeracy and Digital Literacy Qualifications unless you are exempt
To apply for an apprenticeship, you must have an employer willing to employ you for the duration of your apprenticeship.
Your employer will need to:
- Provide us with evidence of suitable insurance and evidence of your employment status
- Be happy to discuss Health and Safety procedures with your assessor
- Pay you the appropriate national minimum wage
- Contribute to monthly planned assessor visits/appointments to observe you and discuss your progress
We will ask you to provide a copy of the following certificates;
- your highest-level qualification
- if you hold GCSEs in English or Welsh and Maths or Numeracy
There are specific requirements for activities you need to be able to carry out in the workplace. After you have applied, an assessor will contact you and your employer to discuss how to meet these requirements and determine which level qualification to enrol upon. We may also use other literacy and numeracy assessments, called WEST, to assess your suitability.
Places on Apprenticeship Programmes are limited and subject to capacity. If you do not have an employer but are volunteering for at least 16 hours per week then please still apply and we can discuss alternative options with you.
Are you an Employer looking to take on an Apprentice?
- No formal entry requirements
- You will be expected to be in relevant job role
- Each application is considered on individual merit
- Entry is subject to an informal interview
- Learners must be at least 16 years old
- Level 2 is for those in a role which involves support systems, processes and services and recognise that employment in Customer Service involves a diverse range of functions, tasks and activities that are constantly developing in the light of changing customer needs.
Qualification: City & Guilds Level 2 in Customer Service (5530-02)
- Level 3 is for those who are working without direct supervision and can use systems flexibly to deliver good service, can suggest improvements and have good communication skills. They will have a wide knowledge of what to do, who to see and where to go to get things done for the customer and have an awareness of the organisation/business’ pressures.
Qualification: City & Guilds Level 3 in Customer Service (5530-03)
Advice & Guidance
- Level 3 is for those in a role which involves providing advice and guidance directly to clients, reporting to line management as well as associated services. They may also supervise and support other staff members.
Qualification: City & Guilds Level 3 NVQ in Advice and Guidance (3569-03)
- Level 4 Diploma is for those in a role which involves providing specialist advice and guidance to clients, reporting to senior management, networking with associated services as well as negotiating, training, evaluating and developing the service provision.
Qualification: City & Guilds Level 4 NVQ Diploma in Advice and Guidance (3569-04)
Learners are able to complete either the full qualification or certain units or elements through the medium of Welsh/bilingually.
- Portfolio of evidence
- Workplace evidence
- If taken as an apprenticeship then reviews with your assessor and employer will take place every 1-2 months and you will be expected to have developed your skills and knowledge between each review
Upon completion, learners can progress onto the next level. You will be invited to attend the College’s Graduation ceremony upon completion of Level 4 (Higher apprenticeship and equivalent of HNC).
- No additional equipment required