Sports Massage Therapy
Sports Massage Therapy
VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy (QCF)
If you want to gain employment as a sports massage therapist working with the general public and athletes, this is the course for you!
No available seats
Is this course right for me?
This is a highly practical course and will enable learners to perform a massage to a professional standard of competency and also involves considerable theoretical knowledge of how the body works in relation to sports injuries and development. Significant experience available through the massage clinic.
This is a technical level qualification aimed at developing the knowledge, understanding and technical skills needed for a career as a Sports Massage Therapist, either employed or self employed.
It would be advantageous if you have:
- A level 2 qualification containing taught elements of Anatomy and Physiology (such as GCSE Biology)
- Previous massage experience would be an asset but not essential
- An up-to-date First Aid certificate is required but the end of the course, this can be arranged to be taken alongside the course if necessary
This 30 week (one academic year) course normally runs on two evenings a week, Tuesday 18:00 – 20:00 and Thursday 18:00 – 21:00, starting in October.
- You should be physically capable of completing the practical elements of this course
- Each application is considered on individual merit
The theory aspects of the course will develop an understanding of how muscles, joints, bones, tendons and ligaments function and how the cardiovascular system adapts to the demands of sport and the importance of the lymphatic system in maintaining a healthy internal environment. Nutrition will also be part of the underpinning knowledge.
The practical aspects include a range of massage techniques used for warm-up, cool-down rehabilitation, sports event massage and promotion of sporting importance. Industrial stress management will also be catered for. Different clients will be used to broaden student experience in a functioning clinic run by learners.
The units to be studied include:
- Anatomy, Physiology for Sports Massage
- Principles of Health and Fitness
- Understand the Principles of Soft Tissue Dysfunction
- Professional Practise in Sports Massage
- Sports Massage Treatments
Learners are able to complete either the full qualification or certain units or elements through the medium of Welsh/bilingually.
- Continuous assessment during the course
- Practical assessment during the course
- Portfolio of evidence
- Online examination
Students can progress into employment in health spas, clinics and salons, complementary therapy private practice or self-employment, and the health and fitness industry.
Following successful completion of this course learners could look to progress to a higher level course at the College, seek an appropriate Apprenticeship or go directly into employment.
- Practical/comfortable clothing for parts of the course
Any costs above are approximate and may change.